Founded four years ago, the University of Chicago Secular Alliance has grown into a significant part of the spiritual life community on campus. Our mission is to:
- provide a community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, skeptics, rationalists, naturalists, non-theists, brights, pastafarians, and other freethinkers
- promote and practice the open, rational, and scientific examination of the universe and our place in it
- demonstrate that ethics and morality can be meaningfully based on rational and humanistic ideals and values
- promote skeptical inquiry organize social activities and forums for discussion, guest speakers, and debates that contribute to the ongoing learning of the University of Chicago community
- foster acceptance of such freethinkers
- advocate for the separation between church and state
In the past, we've hosted: weekly discussion based meetings; science and philosophy workshops; debates with Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and other religious organizations; talks by people including PZ Myers, Ted Cox, Sam Harris, and Serah Blain; campus-wide outreach events like Sell Your Soul for a Cookie and the Superstition Bash; and much more. We have big plans for the next year, so we hope you'll join us!
Chana is a fourth year Mathematics major in the college. She's been a proud atheist since she was in high school and is really excited to be leading the Secular Alliance for a second year. She can usually be found in some kind of argument. Chana loves science, Harry Potter, social justice tumblrs, linear algebra, Scav and -isms. Come talk to me about anything!
I'm a second year Physics and Chemistry major. I'm the treasurer of the Secular Alliance, and have been involved in secular, humanist, and rationalist activities for several years now.
Public Relations Director
Liam is a fourth-year Biology major from Brooklyn, NY. Raised in a non-religious household, he almost wishes he had a religious upbringing just so he could say he heroically defected from theism. He is deeply interested in evolution, movies, the outdoors, (non)fiction, and listening to/playing/making music.
Execs at Large
Anastasia KlimchynskayaAnastasia Klimchynskaya is a 4th year (when did all this time pass??) in the College; she’s majoring in Comparative Literature, but does like to spend a large portion of her time dabbling with physics courses. Aside from the Secular Alliance, she’s also a writer for the Chicago Maroon and an avid explorer of the wonderful city of Chicago.
Johnny Antos is the Technology Manager for the Secular Alliance. He is a 1st year in the College. He is an Economics major, but he took all the AP sciences in high school. He is also involved with the ECOnomic Research Consortium, and the UChicago Sports Business Team. He enjoys playing soccer in his spare time.
Social Media Connections
Listhosts Secular Students General; Secular Students Plus
Facebook Facebook group