Hello hello hello! Welcome to second week!
Our meeting this week, April 11, at 5:45, in the Uncommon Room is going to be really really awesome. We are going to talk about lookism. Bet that's an -ism you haven't heard of, but in fact, attractive people are more successful in a variety of ways. Weird, right? To blow your mind even more, we'd love it if you read this great short piece before the meeting (won't take longer than 10 minutes or so) since we'll be discussing it. Come with your stories of having seen or experienced lookism in any directions, your feelings about its existence and what you would do to change it if you could.
(Also, the reading linked to is an excerpt from a slightly longer piece, which is definitely worth a read if you've got a bit of time).
- You knew I was going to talk about elections, right? So here's the deal. The form is here. You all should keep nominating yourselves (and other people! you know awesome and brilliant people in this organization that would be good at exec, right?). I have not yet emailed people who have been nominated for things, so I will start doing that in a few days. Then, on Monday, April 15, I will post all nominations up to that point, so people can see what's going on, and adjust their nominations or add more.
- Please nominate people (and yourselves)! If you're worried about competition or want to wait until you see the list, don't! Nominate first, see the list, and then you can nominate more or withdraw as you wish!
- People can run in absentia! They'll just have to email in a short paragraph about why they should get the position.
- Feel free to ask me or other execs questions by email or facebook or in person any time about exec and positions and what it's like.
- Elections are third week, April 18th!
- We're having a game night Wednesday of 5th week, May 1st, at Jay Feldman's apartment. Keep the date open!
- We'll also be screening the hilarious movie Dogma Monday of 7th week, May 13,so keep that evening open as well.
- The Secular Student Alliance National Conference is in June! There are actually two of them, and they're accepting registration now! It would be really fun to go with a lot of you, so consider registering!
- What do you think of Sam Harris and his response to all of his critics?
- If you didn't go to SkepTech, that's ok! The videos are coming up here!
- Regarding our conversation about gay marriage last week, here are some critiques of the Red profile picture equals symbol and the Human Rights Campaign
- Atheist shoemakers do citizen science to figure out why their packages went missing. Anti-atheism bigotry, perhaps? Also, I want those shoes.
- And the election nomination form, in case you forgot, is here.